The Hope Pantry provides food to homeless families or families in transition in the West Allis/West Milwaukee School District. Clients are referred to us by social workers in the school district. Some of our clients with jobs make too much to qualify for any other type of aid, but not enough to pay rent and other expenses along with food. Once a month visits to other food pantries is not supplying them with enough food to get them through the month. Other clients were forced to move suddenly or are fleeing domestic violence situations and have an emergency need for food as well as other items.
Hope Pantry clients are allowed to visit the Pantry once per month to supplement their current food sources. We use a point system based on family size.The pantry was set up as a Choice Model which allows clients within their point allotment to shop for items they need. We chose a Choice Model because it upholds client dignity, meets client health needs, allows them to feel like they’re shopping and limits food waste as clients only take food they will use.
Food is currently supplied through food and monetary donations from Mt. Hope congregation, and other community organizations, local food drives, and shopping when necessary to maintain inventory. We are a member of Feeding America and receive some food through them. We currently only provide non-perishable food items.
- At this time, Hope Pantry is serving the community in ways that limit contact. Please contact Linda for details.
- Donations of food can be arranged by contacting Linda. Monetary donations should be made out to Mount Hope Lutheran Church (note ‘Hope Pantry’ on the check). Mail to: Mount Hope Lutheran Church, Attn: Linda Helminski, 8633 W. Becher St., West Allis, WI 53227
- Please contact Linda Helminski at 414-526-0044 with any questions regarding the Hope Pantry.
The Hope Closet provides new clothing to homeless families or families in transition in the West Allis/West Milwaukee School District. To learn more about the Hope Closet click here.
Donations of non-perishable food items are always appreciated:
- Fruit Juices (64 oz. bottles and 10-pack pouches)
- Canned Fruits and Vegetables
- Fruit and Applesauce Cups
- Hearty Soups and Chili
- Cereal and Instant Oatmeal
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Spaghetti and Other Pastas
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Canned Pasta Meals (Spaghetti O’s, Ravioli etc.)
- Canned Meats (Tuna, Chicken, Ham, Corned Beef Hash, Beef Stew)
- Pasta and Rice Sides (Knorr, Rice-a-Roni)
- Instant Mashed Potatoes and other Boxed Potatoes
- Instant Rice
- All types of Beans (Refried, Kidney, Baked, Chili, Black etc.)
- Instant Pancake Mix and Syrup
- Granola and Breakfast Bars
- Graham Crackers
- Snack Crackers
- Toilet Paper
- Paper Towels